27.7.15

Homecoming

I've come knocking at last
You always said I would
I've given it all up for you
Guess I always knew I could

Held on for quite the while
Watched every day go by
And all my hopes and dreams
Let them all slowly die

Still didn't come seeking you
Maybe I was under a spell
Afraid of what everyone says
Told me I'd go to hell


Put up my soul for sale
Painted on a desperate smile
Listened to that beating heart
Which kept count of every mile

Told myself I could live
That a broken heart still beat
And I still had discarded crumbs
Of leftover love to eat

It took all your cruelty
Every last shred you had
I could have still stayed on
If you hadn't tried so hard

You meant to get to me
Hoped I would write these lines
You played it like a game
You pushed me so many times

Broke me at last, you did
I reach for release at last
And you get to say you won
I am now part of the past

And so I've come knocking, friend
Do take me under your dome
Oh death, please open up
And let me into your home.














No comments: